Welcome to the Reading Department!
In both 7th and 8th grade, students in reading will focus on various reading strategies that will be used across the curriculum to support and integrate with the instruction in other departments. Students will read for a variety of purposes in both literature and content area texts.
* To read and demonstrate comprehension of works of fiction and non-fiction texts.
* To learn to read independently and critically.
* To use knowledge of phonics, root words, grammar, and context clues to understand new words or specialized vocabulary when reading.
* To identify, compare, or analyze literary elements and devices.
* To foster a life-long love of reading!
Reading will include:
* Short Stories
* Non-fiction articles
* Study skills & test-taking strategies