Welcome to the
Physical Education Department
Teachers: Ms. Whiteley, Mr. Sicilia, Mr. DiGuiseppe
We encourage all students to be physically active while promoting lifelong activities and a healthy lifestyle. We strive to empower our students to achieve individually and cooperatively, while embracing technology and creating a safe environment. Our program is designed to assess and meet the individual needs of our students.
7th Grade Curriculum
7th Grade: Physical Education classes meet every other day following an A/B day schedule.
Problem Solving, Orienteering I, Golf I, Touch Football, Field Hockey, Netball, Badmiton, Softball, Broom Hockey, Cardio Activies, Ultimate Frisbee, Lacrosse I, Team Handball, Dance I. Soccer, Walking I, Bones & Muscles I, Choking, Heart Rate & BMI, Fitnessgram, Basketball, Track & Field I, and Tennis
7th Grade Health: Health classes meet every other day for 6 weeks.
Communicable Diseases, STD's, HIV/AIDS, Alchohol, Male/Female Reproduction Review, Positive Choices.
8th Grade Curriculum
8th Grade: Physical Education classes meet every other day following any A/B day schedule.
Problem Solving, Orienteering II, Golf II, Touch Football, Field Hockey, Volleyball, Badmiton, Softball, Foam Floor Hockey, Cardio Activities, Ultimate Frisbee, Lacrosse II, Team Handball, Dance II, Walking II, Bone & Muscle II, CPR, Heart Rate & BMI, Fitnessgram, Track & Field II, and Tennis
8th Grade Health: Health classes meet every other day for 6 weeks.
Dating, Drug Education, Mental Health, Stress, Positive Choices
Throughout the school year, we will offer a variety of special programs to our students.
Some of the programs in Physical Education are: Wave Program, Tiger Challenge, Gym Show, Volleyball Night I & II, and the Girl Scout Adventure Program (7th gr.)
In Health, our special programs are: Child, Home, and Community (8th gr.), Straight Talk (7th & 8th gr.), and Nova-Harassment (7th & 8th gr.)
Academic Standards for Health, Safety, and Physical Education
Concepts of Health 10.1
* Stages of growth and development; Interaction of body systems: Nutrition; Alcohol, tobacco and chemical substances; Health problems and disease prevention
Healthful Living 10.2
* Health practices, products, and services; Health information and consumer choices; Health information and the media; Decision-making skills; Health and the environment
Safety and Injury Prevention 10.3
*Safe/Unsafe Practices; Emergency Responses/Injury Management; Strategies to Avoid/Manage Conflict; Safe Practices in Physical Activity
Physical Activity 10.4
* Physical Activities that promote health and fitness; Effects of regular participation; Responses of the body systems to physical activity; Physical activity preferences; Physical activity and motor skill improvement; Physical activity and group interaction
Concepts, Principlesm and Strategies of Movement 10.5
* Movement skills and concepts, Motor skill development; Practice strategies; Principles of exercise/training; Scientific principles that affect movement; Game strategies
Benefits of Physical Activity
* Helps prevent diseases....hypertension (high blood pressure), diabetes, and cardiovascular (heart) disease
* Increases blood flow
* Increases energy level
* Lowers stress level
* Lowers resting heart rate