How Is Your Family Doing?
1. If parents read, chances are children will read.
2. Develop reading time for the home-a time when television and radio are off and books are on.
3. Try to visit the library weekly as a family.
4. Take children to bookstores (new and used) and encourage them to spend their own money on the books they want.
5. Each home should have a library (i.e., a collection of best loved books to be read often and shared with others).
6. Parents should read to young children.
7. Self-discipline is the key to a life of reading pleasure-read for information and fun.
8. Books are like good fruit-rare and precious and healthy.
SOURCE: Haki Madhubuti, Black Men: Obsolete, Single, Dangerous?: Afrikan Families in Transition-Essays in Discovery, Solution, and Hope